Monday, December 11, 2006

Not again...


When LeAnn and I lived in Colorado, I served as the worship director for a new church plant called Pinecrest Community Church. The mother of our volunteer youth leader/bass player was one of the secretaries at Grace Chapel. Through this, we developed good relationship with Grace Chapel. They donated some items to help us one time. One of their associate pastors guest spoke at our church one Sunday while our senior pastor was out of town. I had a lot of respect for Grace during our 3 years in the Denver area.

Just moment ago, I learned that Paul Barnes, their senior pastor (who was also the founding pastor), has resigned because he has admitted to a struggle with homosexuality his entire life. And this comes just a month after he spoke about integrity in the wake of the Ted Haggard scandal. Apparently someone called the church because they overheard a conversation of someone who was going to "out" Paul. So rather than Paul seeking help on his own, an anonymous phone call brought the truth to light.

If you are struggling with an habitual sin, I urge you to please find someone to confess your sin to. Get help. Don't let your sin find you out - you overtake the sin by confessing it to God and to another human who will love you and pray for you and support you through your healing.

And I also encourage you to live your life in such a way that others will be comfortable opening up to you. If you wear a mask yourself or slander others behind their back, no one is going to want to confess to you. It broke my heart to read the words of one of the elders of Grace Chapel - "Where did I fall short in making myself so unapproachable that he couldn't come to me?" So even if you aren't living with a secret sin, still seek to be a person of godly character.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain." 1 Timothy 6:6

1 comment:

Zac said...

Is there a point at which a habitual sinner must be asked to leave the church?