Friday, April 27, 2007

The Habits and Joy of Holiness

I've been wanting to post this quote for over a week now, but am finally making time to do it...

"[A] definition of habit is 'a behavior pattern aquired by frequent repetition.' This is the principle underlying the fact that the more we sin the more we are inclined to sin. But the converse is also true. The more we say no to sin, the more we are inclined to say no."

(From Chapter 14 "Habits of Holiness" pp. 181-182 in the 25th Anniversary edition of The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges, copyright 1978, 1996, 2003)

And then today I read this one in the final chapter...

"Jesus said, 'If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my FAther's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete' (John 15:10-11). In this statement Jesus links obedience and joy in a cause and effect manner; that is, joy results from obedience. only those who are obedient - who are pursuing holiness as a way of life - will know the joy that comes from God."


(From Chapter 17 "The Joy of Holiness" pp. 207-208 in the 25th Anniversary edition of The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges, copyright 1978, 1996, 2003)

1 comment:

Eric Goodell said...

That was quite a suprise to hear from you. And also a real encouragement to know that you are reading my journals and enjoying them. I''ll try to keep them coming. :) If all goes according to plan, I will be leaving in the beggining of June for a 2 months trip through Central America by bus. If I can get access to the internet on the road, I will try to post about what is happening...I'll tell you honestly how I remember you. I remember being a little guy and coming into your house, you came up and greeted my mom and I on your way out, and I remember thinking "wow, this guy is really cool. Someday, I'm going to be in high school like him." Every time I am with a little kid now, I think about this memory of you and then try to be really "cool" with the kid so that he thinks I'm cool like I thought you were! Funny how those small, but distinct memories stick with you for years. Thanks again for writing. Hope all is well with you and you're family.
Eric
--And was I REALLY such a brat when I was a kid?? ;) I thought was an angel!