Friday, April 06, 2007

I'm no longer "Taking Back the Church"

A while back, I joined Facebook (as I shared here). Shortly after this momentous occasion, I was asked to join the group "Taking Back the Church". I LOVE God's Church, and so I was eager to join a group that was passionate about God's vehicle for connecting His followers together.

Fast forward to Wednesday morning, April 4. I had a very bizarre experience (at least bizarre for me). I was awakened by my 8 month old at 5:30 am. I stumbled into his bedroom to try and comfort him, and within seconds I knew he was hungry and my breasts could do NOTHING for him.

So I shuffled back to my room with T in my arms to hand him off to my wife who was better equipped at feeding him milk. It was at this point my bladder was screaming at me from being so full from all the water I drank before bed, so my stupor now led me to the bathroom to appease Mr. Bladder.

Now, usually when something like this happens, I flush the toilet, climb back in bed, and fall right back to sleep (I think it should be illegal to get out of bed before 7:00). But as I am doing all of the above-mentioned things, my mind is going crazy. I have one thing in my head: I need to leave the Facebook group "Taking Back the Church".

On a normal morning I can't think clearly until after I've had a shower, but I had questions and reasons coming to me at blinding speed. I felt as if it was God talking to me, asking me "Who are you taking the church from? Why does it need taken back? Was it stolen? Illegally purchased? Kidnapped or hijacked?"

"Erin, it is MY Church. It has never left My hands. You can't "take" the Church unless you are trying to take it from Me. But not even the gates of hell will prevail against it and take it from Me. Don't try to "take" the Church at all - just BE the Church. That's what I want from you."

As I lay in bed, I can't get these thoughts out of my head. I was trying to rationalize all of it - "these thoughts are just an extension of a dream I'd been having before T alerted us to his hunger needs," or "it's no big deal, it's just a Facebook group after all." But when I finally gave into the thoughts and said "okay, I'll leave the group" did I finally drift back to sleep until my alarm coaxed me awake.

And so, I am making good on my promise. Today, I am leaving the Facebook group "Taking Back the Church" because I feel like God is calling me to just BE the Church, not "take" the Church, and love it and accept it with all of its flaws because He is washing the Church with His Word, making her a pure and spotless bride for the wedding day in the new heaven.

No comments: