Sunday, April 08, 2007

Will success change you?

I am not a golf fan. I understand the game from friends and in-laws who love the game, but I have no desire to take up the sport nor lose time watching it.

But today I was changed (if just temporarily). Cedar Rapids native, Zach Johnson, was surprisingly in the hunt. During a commercial break on another program I was watching with my kids this Easter afternoon, I flipped channels and noticed on CBS that Zach had a two stroke lead over Tiger and a couple other golfers with about 5 holes to go.

I was glued! My oldest daughter suddenly became a golf fanatic as I described the game and Zach's possible accomplishment. We cheered his shots, groaned over his bogey on 17, and held our breath while the last few golfers finished out. In the end, the Iowa-boy ended on top! (Or should I say "bottom" since it is the lowest score that wins?)

I got online tonight to find out more about Zach's accomplishment when I saw this excellent post by my good friend, Kim Pagel, who caught some of the post interview. What impressed me most is that when Zach was told how this would change him, Zach said "My professional life will change, but I will continue to be the same person as I was before winning the tournament. I've got supportive people around me who will see to that. I'm just a midwest boy from Iowa."

What a great response and attitude! Hopefully it will turn out true, especially if Zach finds more success on the links. And hopefully I will have the same response and attitude if the Lord brings success my way (obviously it won't come on the golf course!).

Photo from ESPN.com

No comments: