Friday, April 06, 2007

How to Know Right from Wrong

Another gem from Jerry Bridges...

Years ago a friend gave me what he called his "Formula: How to Know Right from Wrong." The formula asks four questions based on three verses in 1 Corinthians:

  • "'Everything is permissible for me' - but not everything is beneficial" (1 Cor. 6:12). Question 1: Is it helpful - physically, spiritually, and mentally?
  • "'Everything is permissible for me' - but I will not be mastered by anything" (1 Cor. 6:12). Question 2: Does it bring me under its power?
  • "Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall" (1 Cor. 8:13). Question 3: Does it hurt others?
  • "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Cor. 10:31). Question 4: Does it glorify God?
As simple as this formula may appear, it is powerful in developing conviction - if we are willing to use it. These questions can get rather searching. But they must be asked if we are to pursue holiness as a total way of life.

(from Ch. 9 "Putting Sin to Death" pp. 122-123 in the 25th Anniversary edition of The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges copyright 1978, 1996, 2003)

No comments: