Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Election boycott?

NOTE:  IF YOU ALREADY PLAN TO VOTE FOR MCCAIN OR OBAMA, THIS POST MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.  BUT IF YOU AREN'T SURE WHO YOU'LL VOTE FOR, YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN THESE THOUGHTS...

For a few month now, I've been hearing rumblings that some Christians may boycott this November's presidential elections. I first heard from various sources that this idea was expressed by James Dobson of Focus on the Family fame. Then I heard the idea again from others on the Catalyst podcast.

The reason some are thinking of skipping the elections entirely is because they don't like Obama or McCain. They hate Obama's pro-choice stance, and McCain isn't conservative enough for them. (On the Catalyst podcast, frustration has been expressed that the Republican Party is taking evangelicals for granted.) Christians think neither candidate represents them or their values, and so they are deciding that skipping the presidential election is the best way of communicating their disdain for the candidates served up by the two big parties.

Before I proceed with my thoughts on this, let me share somethings. I am not a very politically-active person. I didn't caucus in January. I haven't given any money to any candidate. In fact, I am registered as an independent and have no plans to change that. (However, I watch the political realm casually, and have a vague idea of what is going on, especially in the presidential race.) My primary reason for not being uber-active is because politics seem to divide people more than unite them, and (to paraphrase Bill Hybels in "Courageous Leadership"), politics can only move the yard markers in the game of life - they can't truly bring change (I believe only Christ can bring the change people truly need - the changes needed are personal and cultural, not governmental). And so I don't get caught up in certain candidates because they can't be the savior so many people want. I already have a Savior, and I'll keep following him.

But while I am not very active on the political scene, I still believe it is my duty as an American citizen AND as a follower of Christ to vote. There are people who died in order for me to have this freedom and right, so I will not waste their death by boycotting an election simply because I don't like the presented candidates.

I think a better option is to research the other candidates from other parties. Sure, their chances are beyond slim to none that they'll actually win, but you still cast your vote as a citizen and let your voice be heard. If you don't like any of the other candidates presented by the smaller parties, then find one you do like and write them in.

So if you can't find a way to vote for one of the two primary candidates, then find someone you can vote for. Hopefully this option will allow you to exercise your right to vote, but to do it with a clean conscience and not feel like you are either picking the lesser of two evils, or worse yet, boycotting the election entirely.

No comments: