Thursday, August 18, 2005

Weddings


I'm officiating a wedding tomorrow night. Colbee and Vivi make a great couple. They have a beautiful location out at the gazebo at Touch of Class. They've picked out one of my favorite passages,Colossians 3:12-17, to be read in Portuguese and English (Vivi is from Brazil). While I probably should blog about this after the fact, I know it is going to be a beautiful ceremony. I love weddings.

Why?
I think I love officiating weddings because I get to be up front with a couple during a holy, mystical moment. To stand there and watch two great individuals vow before God and friends to enter into a marriage covenant and allow God to make them one flesh is so incredible, I find it difficult to provide the right words.

But I also love what weddings do to me. As I verbally paint a picture of what a God-designed marriage looks like, I am reminded each time of what my own marriage should look like. And often I find myself needing to make small changes to be the husband that God wants me to be and the husband a great woman like LeAnn deserves (and so that I'm not a huge hypocrit to all of these couples I do pre-marital counseling with!).

If you are married, are you being the husband or wife that God wants you to be? If you are single, what are you doing now to develop your character to be the husband or wife God desires you to become in case he holds marriage in your future?

No comments: