Friday, August 19, 2005

A Polarizing Book (Velvet Elvis)


I finished reading Rob Bell's first book Velvet Elvis a couple days ago. I knew going into the book that it was very polarizing. A quick read through the reviews at Amazon reveals that people either loved or hated the book. (Most good books get that kind of reaction.) Like I said: polarizing.

Personal Polarization
But what I didn't expect was that I would be personally polarized. I can't remember another book that I've had a reaction to like this. I loved the book, and hated it at the same time.

There were times where I found myself thinking "I've thought that all along and have always been afraid to voice it!" and at other times thinking "but if you take Rob's idea further, it opens the door to many dangerous trains of thought". I thought his trampoline and brick wall analogies were brilliant, I found myself completely understanding the Epilogue since I experienced something kind of similar, I was uncomfortable about the discussion about Biblical Interpretation (but I don't want to admit that I think he's right)... as you can see, I'm internally polarized.

And to share yet another personal polarization: I think every Jesus follower should read this book, yet there are some people I don't want to read the book for fear of what their reactions might be (in both directions).

So should you read it? Yes. But don't say I didn't warn you. And don't let it polarize you against me. :o)

No comments: