Tuesday, August 15, 2006

An Emerging Description I want for me...

I haven't posted on my blog about the Emerging Church until now. Which has been somewhat by intention - I would rather post about things that get me and others looking at our character and living our lives all-out for Christ. Most of the EC conversation (whether for it or against it) doesn't seem to propel the conversants in that direction, and so I don't post about it. However, the Emerging Church is something I have interest in because it involves the Church - which is something I dearly love. If you don't know a thing about the emerging church - that's ok, many people within the "emerging church" aren't quite sure themselves. But there are loads of blogs about it, so a quick search of Blogger or Google will get you more info than you have time for.

I want to make it clear: I'm not anti-Emerging Church, nor am I pro-EC. But as I read Alex McManus' blog on whether the church he is involved with (named Mosaic) can be labeled "Emerging", he had a great quote that captured how I want to live my life AND for any ministry I'm involved with to look or feel. Here's Alex's quote:

Many of those who take on the mantle of the Emerging Church seem to me to be burned out Church leaders who needed to bail on a Christianity that offered pat but empty answers. I consider this a good move. But, in contrast, Mosaic is more like a convert who is full of enthusiasm, joy and hope. The new convert moves with speed and intentionality towards Jesus, towards the scriptures, towards Christ following community, and towards the world in service and mission.

I LOVE being around brand new Christians. Why? Because they have a sense of passion and excitement about Christ that many Christ followers seem to lack. Being around a new creature in Christ is always good for my own faith. I want to live my life with that same passion and excitement (balanced with maturity that comes from spending time with God in His Scriptures and in prayer).

And I want my church or any ministry I'm involved with to be more like an excited convert than anything else. The culture of that ministry would be outreach focused, moving intentionally towards Jesus, the scriptures, community, and world service. That's the kind of group I want to be involved with.

So are you living your Christian life with a staid faith? Or do you have the excitement of a new creation?

To read Alex's entire blog, click here.

No comments: