Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ramadan Fasting

I have done a few short-term fasts over the years as part of my walk with Christ, the longest being 8 days leading up to the Starving Jesus tour stop here in Cedar Rapids.  I have done several 24 hours fasts since then, but nothing of substantial length.  I have considered doing some longer fasts - and there are two particular times during the year I have thought most about doing one.

The first is Lent - I've considered doing a 40-day fast, or some sort of fast, during the season leading up to the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. (Well, one year LeAnn and I gave up ice cream - THAT was hard :o).  But the other time I've thought about doing an extended fast is during the Muslim holiday of Ramadan.

Each year, our church prays for the Muslim world during Ramadan.  As Muslims are fasting from EVERYTHING during the day, including water, (they break their fast each evening at sunset), we are praying that God would reveal himself to them through the person of Jesus Christ.  Many Muslims are much like me - passionate seekers of God.  And God has been revealing himself to thousands upon thousands of them through dreams and the witness of Jesus-followers, some of whom at one-time considered themselves good Muslims.  In fact, this Ramadan, my wife and I watched a DVD with five personal stories of Muslims in different nations around the globe who had dreams of Jesus and began to follow him (you can download and watch the personal stories at this website).

As part of our prayers for adherents of Islam, I have considered fasting during the day just as they are abstaining from anything touching their lips.  And when they are praying, I would be praying for God's work in their lives drawing them to the way, the truth, and the life.

This week, I learned I'm not the only follower of Jesus to consider this idea.  But these Christ-followers have gone a bit farther than I was thinking - which has caused a bit of controversy.  Here's the USA Today article.

Posted via email from erin bird's web nest

No comments: