Thursday, February 07, 2008

Praying for Kenya and Chad

I am not a news junkie, but I dip into the news enough to know what is sort of going on in the world. Every so often I'll hear of wars and conflicts around the globe, and it stops at that - information I have gained. But when you have a personal connection to the fighting, your interest changes.

My friend Adele is a missionary in Kenya, working with ELI. Kenya has been in turmoil ever since the December elections. Before, I would have never given much thought to what was happening in Kenya. Now I pray with my kids for Adele almost every night and almost every time I read her blog.

Then on Sunday, a friend of mine here at New Covenant shared a prayer request for his home country of Chad, Africa. Rebels had charged into the city and were trying to overthrow the president. My accountability partner, Nate, is also from Chad, and I've been following the situation via his wife's blog. Now the families of my friends, the country, and the Church in Chad have appeared in my prayers as well.

You may not have the connections I do into these countries, but would you still pray? Pray for peace. Pray for the churches in these areas to stand up for righteousness, for God's creation of people, and for the truth of Christ, and that they will be able to help their neighbors in this time of need.

AP Photo taken from Yahoo! slideshow on Chadian Unrest

No comments: