Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Value of a Human

I'm sitting here at the Starbucks on 1st Ave. across from Best Buy working on my third Baggage message for tonight's Watershed Worship Gathering. The very cool Austin Oates is here doing homework (I had the privilege of officiating Austin's wedding a month ago to the beautiful Cailey Oates). The awesome Jason Pagel is working behind the counter. Two pastors are to my left having an accountability group. Two elderly women are preparing to leave after spending a wonderful hour in conversation with each other. But the person who really sticks out at this moment is the man on the cell phone directly in front of me.

He is obviously a recruiter of some type. He is talking quite proficiently about several high school boys and their athletic progress. Most of the mention is about baseball, so perhaps he is an evaluator for Perfect Game, or a college program, or perhaps even a major league scout.

I'm not trying to listen in (I've been working pretty intently on my message up to this point), but I can't help but over hear portions of what he is saying. He is expertly talking about these young men and their skills on the ball field. But much of what he is saying is about their abilities, their commitment to the game, their results on different tests, and more.

But nothing is being said about WHO these young men are. What kind of character qualities do they have? What do they like and dislike? Who are they as humans?

I'm not saying the gentleman (or even the unseen person on the other side of the phone) doesn't value these boys as people, but much of what is being said doesn't give that impression. They are only worth their talents and work ethic to these two (based on what I'm hearing). These boys are merely commodities to be traded, bought, or ignored to achieve the goals of others.

While the boys involved have a choice about whether they pursue more baseball or move into something else, there are people in this world who are treated as commodities that are traded, bought, or ignored in order to achieve the selfish, sinful goals of others. Whether you realize it or not, there is an entire underground industry of human trafficking currently operating all around the globe. Hundreds of thousands of people, mostly women and children, are exchanged for money to fulfill the sick wishes of some "owner".

If this makes you even half as sick as it makes me (and I'm not nearly as outraged about the issue as I probably should be), you'll be interested to know that in May there is a conference right here in Cedar Rapids on the issue of human trafficking. I don't know exact dates, location, times, or speakers, but after hearing a couple of interviews with Gary Haugen of International Justice Mission during the past year, I am interested in learning more and knowing how I, as part of Christ's Church, can help protect the true value of a human life. Once I know more, I'll post it here. But 'til then, ask yourself, "what is the value of a human?"

No comments: