Thursday, January 10, 2008

Baggage Series

I normally post Watershed related posts on Waterblogged, but since I'm posting my personal thoughts on this one, I thought it would be best to put here.

I starting a new 4-week teaching series tonight at Watershed entitled "Baggage". I'll be teaching about how our past affects who we are and how to keep our past from weighing us down and keeping us from living emotionally and spiritually healthy productive lives.

Since I don't possess the wisdom to completely overcome past issues, I'm turning to the Scriptures. We'll be looking at the story of Jacob found in Genesis over these 4-weeks. Tonight simply introduces the story and Jacob's baggage.

I'm also sharing the story of a friend of mine from my past. I reconnected with "Jill" (not her real name) recently and found out some of the baggage she has had during the past 2 years as she endured her husband's marital unfaithfulness and subsequent divorce. Her story, while incredibly difficult, I think will give hope to many people. She wrote some very beautiful things to me to share with those who will listen, and as I let more of her story slip each week, I think others will be amazed at how she responded and will hopefully do the same.

I have to admit I'm a bit excited about this series. I probably get this way about ever teaching series I do, but I think this could be a "watershed" event in some people's lives. Today's preparation didn't go nearly as smoothly as I had hoped (sermons seem to be like giving birth to me - I'm in labor, it's hard work, and I never quite know what I'll give birth to!). So I'm not as excited about tonight as I was yesterday. :o)

If you happen to read this before 7:30 pm Central time, would you pray for me? And even if you read this after 7:30 pm tonight, you can still pray for further weeks. There is a good chance the series will be posted online, so you can subscribe to the podcast if you so desire.

I am very thankful that God has spared me some of the deep emotional and spiritual baggage many people seem to carry around. While I still have some to deal with, it is so nice to not be bogged down with past sins. I only hope that many of the young adults who will hear this 4-week series will come to a similar place in their own lives and sense God's peace and freedom in their hearts and minds.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It does sound like a very exciting series. I am praying for you and Watershed...