Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Reformation Day!

I was going to put a post on here about Halloween and how much I hate the holiday, but I remembered I did the same last year, so rather than rehash the subject, I will just link to the post I made last year. While I might have reworded things this year, my sentiments about Halloween have remained the same.

But I had a friend who told me that he chooses to celebrate the Reformation each October 31, so for any of you protestants out there, Happy Reformation Day!

P.S. We have a 9-year-old baby, 6-year-old bride, almost 3-year-old Elmo, and a 12-week-old pumpkin in our house this year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are we as Christians supposed to take part in this holiday without celebrating the evil it represents?

-E said...

I'm sure there are many different responses that could be given to your questions, Zac, but for my family it looks like this:

1) On the Family Night before Halloween, we carve a pumpkin/jack o'lantern. We choose to do a smiley face (although Karis lobbied for a "cross" this year!) and then talk about how Jesus tells us that we are the light of the world.

2) We allow our kids to dress up because its fun (and they don't just dress up on Halloween!) and they choose costumes that are fun and positive.

3) Even though our kids go to the Fall Fest at church, one person always stays home to pass out candy (last night it was me). We do this to maintain a positive interaction with our neighbors.

4) We talk with our kids about the Halloween related items at school (assignments, parties, stories, costumes, etc.) and how they can either ask for a different assignment or complete the work without "celebrating" the evil or darker aspects of the holiday.

So that's what our family does to "take part" without celebrating the evil inherent in the holiday.