Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Were they worse sinners?

Personal News
My family had a WONDERFUL Christmas vacation to my parents' place in beautiful Pella, IA. It was very restful and filled with lots of laughter, and none of us wanted to leave last night. That's the way it should be, I think...

Personal Thoughts
Last week I heard that Hurricane Katrina was voted the top news story of 2005. I recalled that shortly after the hurricane, I was having a conversation on the phone with a lady who believed that God used Hurricane Katrina to punish New Orleans for their Mardis Gras celebrations and homosexuality-embracing culture. I was so saddened to hear her opinion.

I was reminded of that conversation this morning as I was reading in my Bible and came across this passage (I was reading in the NET Bible so I will use that translation here):

Now there were some present on that occasion who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. He answered them, ?Do you think these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered these things? No, I tell you! But unless you repent, you will all perish as well! Or those eighteen who were killed when the tower in Siloam fell on them, do you think they were worse offenders than all the others who live in Jerusalem? No, I tell you! But unless you repent you will all perish as well!? (Luke 13:1-5)

Whether it was the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, last year's tsunami, or the school board election in Dover, PA this past November, many people have been making judgements and claiming those judgments to be from God.

But as I read Jesus' words, I'm struck by the fact that Jesus didn't want me pointing fingers at those who were victims of these events. He was teaching me to look at myself. I must repent. I must turn from my sinful ways. We are all sinners who deserve the same fate (Romans 3:23). It is only through Christ that we can find forgiveness. And as we experience his grace and compassion expressed through the cross, my prayer is that you and I will be people of grace and compassion as well, inviting others to repent with us.

So when an event happens and you hear the news, what's your first response after the shock? Judgement? Or personal reflection?

3 comments:

Scot said...

Glad you had a nice Christmas vacation.

Great and deep thoughts on events that cause so much pain. I too, heard so many people say it might be God's punishment, but you insights help me see I look at myself and what is in me.

-E said...

Scot!

Great to hear from you!

-E

Scot said...

E- Good to hear from you too! I was glad to fine your blog!