Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Merry Chr...er, Happy Holidays

My wife and I did some Christmas shopping yesterday. As we walked into Sears to look for a 36" Quick Clamp (sorry, Dad, they were out - looks like we'll have to get you something else on your list), there were 2 prominent black and white 8 1/2 x 11 signs on the entrance to the store. They simply said "Merry Christmas".

I laughed and caught my wife up on the controversy: Several people noticed that Sears and Target and other stores lacked the word "Christmas" in any of their advertising. I guess the pendulum swung back the other way at the Cedar Rapids Sears stores.

The whole controversy reminded me of this image my friend Leo recently emailed me. Hope you get a laugh out of it too!

1 comment:

ks said...

Hi Erin. It's Kristin Snodgrass.
Daniel and I talk about this all the time. We find it ironic that 95% of America celebrates Christmas, which means 95% of the Christmas profits from stores come from people who are celebrating Christmas, and yet it's just "holidays". But last I checked, people weren't decking their houses out with pine garlands and holly to celebrate Kwanza.