Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Unimportance of Prayer?

I saw this cartoon in my inbox this morning. While I laughed, I grieved that the only reason the picture comic was funny was because it was true. No, not true that prayer is unimportant. True because we THINK prayer is unimportant.

How did I get here - to this incorrect place of making prayer a side thing that isn't as important as study or counseling or teaching or analyzing culture (that's my way of justifying the intake of entertainment ;o) )? Rather than launch into a blog sermonette about prayer, I think I just need to pray for me and for you.

"Lord, forgive us. Forgive us, your children, for not having hearts of prayer that want to boldy come before your throne of grace with confidence and humility, to spend time with you in conversation and seeking your input, direction, leading, and aid in our lives and the lives of others. Teach us, Lord, how to pray without ceasing. Please replace our easily distracted and worldly minds with the mind of Christ. Replace our ears that are filled with the noise of the culture with ears that hear Your whisperings. And replace our hearts that beat for so many selfish things with hearts that are in sync with Yours. Please help us to give prayer an important place in our lives."

No comments: