Friday, September 09, 2005

Helping Katrina victims locally

After a tragedy such as we have witnessed in the Gulf Coast, many Americans first response is to help through financial donations. We have made a similar option available to the young adults of Watershed by putting donation buttons on the Watershed homepage.

But sometimes we long to do more. When I lived in Colorado during the Columbine shooting, my first response was to rush over to the other side of Denver and pray with people and counsel them (but I didn't because I figured I'd be more in the way than an actual help). I have a pastor friend leading a team down this weekend to some of the areas impacted by Katrina - they are going to explore where and how they can help, call home to tell a second team what to bring, and then spend the week serving best they can.

I don't feel like I'm in a position to go down there and help like my friend. What could I possibly do here in Iowa to tangibly help the victims besides donate money or items?

That opportunity has opened itself up suddenly. MAHP is preparing some apartments here in Cedar Rapids for some families who lost their homes in the hurricane. They are arriving this Saturday, so we are going to go in and clean, paint, and help however we can to make a home for these families to live in until the decide what to do next.

If you are a young adult in the Cedar Rapids area, I'd encourage you to join us in the west parking lot of New Covenant Bible Church this Saturday at 9:30 a.m. From there, we are going to go over to the apartments and help with what we can.

Won't you join us?

No comments: