Monday, July 18, 2005

Pet Peeves #2

Intro
When I lived in Colorado, I used to say a pet peeve of mine was people that don't use their turn signal. But since moving to Iowa, I can't really complain since drivers here seem to do a much better job of indicating their turning intentions. :o)

So what is my #2 Pet Peeve if I can't say it is the Nefarious Lack Of Turn Signals? Christian Clichés.

Clichés are as easy as pie...
Now, because of my sinful "people pleaser" side, I usually don't say anything if I hear a Christian cliché, but I grit my spiritual teeth internally, hoping they don't unleash their cliché upon a hurting soul. I used to be a cliché man - after all clichés became clichés because there is usually a big element of truth to them. I like truth as any good Christian boy (or girl) should, so I didn't have a problem wearing a spiritual gun loaded with clichés. (And to be completely honest, most times I still don't cringe as much as I am making this sound.)

But the more counseling I do, the more dangerous I realize clichés are. I know the sweet old lady who says "God never gives us more than we can handle" is speaking truth and means well, but it is more like a barb in the soul than a blessing on the spirit to the single mom who is at her wits end thinking she's never going to find another man to help her parent these kids. I know that the twentysomething guy who whips out Romans 8:28 has pure intentions, but to say it to the grieving in the wake of the funeral of a close loved one rips the heart rather than repair the hurt.

Do you long to see Christians move past the shallow-and-easy cliché life and begin living the truth that is behind many of our Biblical clichés? I know I do. But it's probably a lot easier to get people to use their turn signals than accomplish that! :o)

No comments: