Friday, July 15, 2005

Finally Getting Started

Ok, I've had lots of blogs in my head, but I'm finally getting this started. After midnight of course.

Tonight at Watershed's Thursday Night gathering, I talked about confrontation and not being a clone (we were on Galatians 1:11-2:14 as part of our "Spiritual Wars" series). I got lots of positive comments about the talk.

But when it comes to positive comments: Have you ever read "The 5 Love Languages" by Gary Chapman? Me neither. But I do know the list that Dr. Gary came up with (I think it is some sort of requirement young adult pastors who do lots of premarital counseling to have the 5 Love Languages memorized). And one of the "love languages" in the book is Words of Encouragement.

To be honest, I am not a words of encouragement guy. I try to give it (need to do better at it), but personally I don't need it. When someone says "great job" it just kind of rolls off. I'm always polite and say thank you because I know the person means well. But the words don't really make me feel more significant. (Boy, that makes me seem cold hearted!)

But there IS something that makes me feel significant, especially when it comes in relation to when I teach from the Bible. When I hear or see someone making life changes and/or living more for Christ because of something I said, then I get stoked! The biggest compliment I could ever receive after teaching is to hear what changes have happened in someone's life.

And God blessed me with such a chance on Wednesday night this week. I had the highest honor and privilege of helping baptise Amy Arp (click here to see a picture of Amy sharing her story at the baptism). Amy became a follower of Jesus last October, and she shared how God had made changes in her life. Just knowing that God used me, however big or small, in Amy's life was the biggest compliment I could have ever received!

1 comment:

Kim Pagel said...

Erin, God used you to speak to Amy's heart! The joy we feel when we hear a testimony like Amy's is the kind of joy that is taking place in heaven whenever a person puts their faith in Christ. Amy, welcome to the family!