Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Inheritance

Today I read chapters 43-46 in Ezekiel.  Verse 28 in chapter 44 really stuck out to me:

"This will be [the priests'] inheritance: I am their inheritance, and you must give them no property in Israel; I am their property." (Ezekiel 44:28 (NET), emphasis mine)

At first thought, it seems like the priests get the short end.  All the other tribes of Israel get land and possessions for themselves, but the priests get nothing.  Yeah, the verses following verse 28 indicate that God will provide everything the priests need (grain, meat, breads, clothing, etc.), but verse 28 makes it clear that their inheritance, their portion, their possession, wasn't things of this earth - it was the Lord Himself.

But that's just it.  When you have God, you have everything.  But when you don't have God, you have nothing.

As I pondered this thought, it struck me:

"[Y]ou are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people of his own, so that you may proclaim the virtues of the one who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." (1 Peter 2:9 (NET), emphasis mine)

I've heard some people share the gospel with additives:
- "Come to Jesus, and He'll fix your financial problems!"
- "If you have Jesus, He'll repair your broken relationships!"
- "When you have enough faith in Christ, all your health problems will be gone!"
- "Give your life totally to Jesus, and He'll give you a new job!"

But if the combination of Ezekiel 44:28 and 1 Peter 2:9 is true, then if you are a follower of Christ, you are part of a priesthood of believers, which means that when you come to Jesus, you get Jesus!  He is your inheritance.  And He is more than enough.

Is there anything in your life that needs to change to reflect this truth?
- Are you living for an earthly inheritance, trying to gain more earthly wealth, possessions, and position through your job, relationships, and pursuits?
- Or is Christ enough for you, and you are simply trusting Him, just as the priests had to trust, that He will provide everything you need on this earth?

As my family prepares to move into life without an "earned income" and relying solely upon the generosity and contributions of others, I needed this reminder that if I have Christ, I have everything I need.

I'm a priest - and He is my inheritance.

Posted via email from erin bird's web nest

No comments: