Wednesday, March 24, 2010

When Helping Hurts (Book Report)

I normally wait to write book reports until I have completed the book, but two things have led me to be a bit more pre-mature than normal:

#1: I've been enjoying the book immensely for several reasons (more on that below).
#2: Bill Clinton's recent comments about Haiti's condition have proven this book's thesis to be true.

Let's look at #2 first...

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton recently acknowledged that some policies which happened under his administration appeared to help Haiti, but those policies actually hurt the country.  President Clinton admits that they wanted to send food to Haiti to help this poor Caribbean nation out (plus, it would help rice growers in America).  But rather than help, it has led the nation to be dependent upon imported food sources rather than be able to feed themselves.  Our "help" as a rich nation has actually hurt this struggling nation and it's beautiful people as they begin the rebuilding and redevelopment of their infrastructure.

But this isn't the only example.  Time and time again, U.S. citizens, churches, missionaries, social workers, non-profits, NGO's, the World Bank, (and even myself) engage in activities that make them believe they are helping people when in reality they are hurting the very ones they appear to care about.  Whether it be through contributive giving, feeding programs, or physical labor efforts, the intentions are often right, but the long term outcomes are the polar opposite of what is truly desired by all.  And thus the poor remain poor.

This is the reality that Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert aim to confront and change in their book When Helping Hurts.

I have to admit something before I proceed: I have been very leery of much of the "social justice" being trumpeted by the Church in America in recent years.  When the call was first being sounded by many in the "emerging church" through their sermons, conferences, books, and blogs, I was very much in favor of the idea of helping the poor, victimized, and less fortunate (admitting I hadn't been doing much other than being a faithful Compassion sponsor for many years).  But the more I kept hearing the call, the less "Jesus" I heard and the more "just do good" kept coming to the forefront.  So I backed away emotionally and theologically.

This is why When Helping Hurts has been so revolutionary to me.  Corbett and Fikkert take biblical theology I have not only believed, but also taught (namely the doctrines of sin, man, and salvation/restoration), and have extended these truths to issues of poverty.  Their suggestions from these theological convictions are Christ-based, but also deeply practical.  It has been so refreshing to read something theologically sound (without getting too academic) that also calls for practical action and true changes.

But not only have I appreciated the biblical approach of the authors, I also have appreciated their redefinition of poverty.  By taking the doctrine of the fall and applying it properly, Corbett and Fikkert help their readers see that we ALL are in poverty; some of us just aren't in material poverty.  But because of the truth of Romans 3:23, we all have an impoverished relationship with God, others, ourselves, and the world.

Now keep in mind - I haven't finished the book.  I haven't had time to read the past couple of days, but I am ready for the chapter on helping in "your own backyard." With that said, I highly doubt my opinion will change as I complete the book in the next couple of days.

If your church is rejecting Glenn Beck's ridiculous rant and is choosing to join God's plan for true social justice and restoration, then you MUST make When Helping Hurts at the top of your reading list.  This book is profoundly practical while aiming to reshape the thinking of "givers" so that our help will truly be just that.

Rating: 5 bags of rice out of 5

-----
Erin Bird
erin.bird@newcovenantbible.org
Young Adult Pastor
www.newcovenantbible.org
erinbird.posterous.com

Twitter: erinbbird
-----


Posted via email from erin bird's web nest

No comments: