Friday, March 12, 2010

Exposing the Invisible (An apology)

I just received a gentle rebuke via Facebook, and I think my friend is right on.

Yesterday I posted the video of the sermon I preached last week.  But I didn't just post the video, I shared my honest feelings about how painful I find it to watch (or even listen) to myself.  Like many, I am my own worst critic.

But the problem with me complaining about myself is this: I often pray (as I did on Sunday) that I would disappear so God's Word could go forth.  I want the spotlight on Christ, not me.  And the friend who Facebooked me pointed out that he/she didn't see the messenger on Sunday, they only heard the message.  Which means my prayer was answered!

But then I pointed the spotlight on the messenger yesterday, no longer letting me be "invisible".  I went against the very thing I prayed for!

So I stand corrected.  I apologize for putting the spotlight back on me, instead of letting it remain on Christ where it so clearly was after my sermon.  I will keep the video up, as well as my comments, but I'll update that post with a link to this one so others can hopefully learn from my mistake.

And thank you to the one who called me out on this.  You did it like Christ - you communicated with grace and truth - and you did it succinctly.  May God use me the same way in others' lives as well!

Posted via email from erin bird's web nest

No comments: