Thursday, December 03, 2009

So Am I (My family's conspiracy plan this Christmas)

Each Christmas, my wife and I give our children three presents modeled after the gifts the magi gave to the Christ-child as recorded in Matthew 2.  I've blogged about this gift tradition before.

This year, my wife and I decided to handle the myrrh (practical) gift differently.  Rather than giving them socks, or winter gloves, or tooth brushes, or whatever else we think they need for daily practical use, we decided to allow our kids to choose their own myrrh gift to be given to a child who truly doesn't have the basic practical necessities in life.  We used the Samaritan's Purse Gift Catalog, allowing them to choose any of the gifts under $15.  They had fun choosing balls, meals, and mosquito nets!

As my wife was filling out the Samaritan's Purse catalog order form at the kitchen table, my 9-year-old daughter looked at my wife and said "I am SO glad we are doing this!"  With my throat in a knot as I type this because of the wonderful, sensitive, giving nature God has given my children, I say in response to my daughter, "So am I..."

"...so am I."

(It just so happens that our church family is doing something similar through Advent Conspiracy by taking an offering on December 20, and giving the money to clean water initiatives in East India. I love being part of such a generous church!)

Posted via email from erin bird's web nest

No comments: