Friday, November 13, 2009

Are you willing to be a "James" for Jesus? (Acts 12:1-2)

 
Many followers of Jesus, and even some cultural Christians, have heard the story in Acts 12 about the apostle Peter being miraculously rescued from prison.  But while we awe at God's plan to miraculously rescue Peter, we seem to skip over his plan for a different disciple mentioned in the same passage.  God's plan for James is found in the first two verses of chapter 12.

"About that time King Herod laid hands on some from the church to harm them. He had James, the brother of John, executed with a sword." (Acts 12:1-2, NET)

The same God that sent an angel to rescue Peter from his chains is the same God who allowed James to be killed by the sword.  Both the rescue of Peter and the martyrdom of James brought Him glory.  Both events brought God's people to seek Him - one in prayer, the other in praise.  And both were used to confound Herod - one set Herod up so he could be shone foolish through the other.

I find myself longing for Peter moments - to be released from my difficult situations so I can give glory to my God.  But what if God doesn't want to release me from this difficult situation just yet?  What if this trial might actually be what He uses for His glory and my good (James 1:2-8, Romans 8:28-30)?  And can I still give Him praise even in the middle of my "jail cell" when I don't know the outcome?

In other words, am I willing to be a "James" for Jesus?

Posted via email from erin bird's web nest

No comments: