Thursday, October 29, 2009

Forgotten God by Francis Chan (Book Review)


Rating: 5 out of 5 doves

Last year, LeAnn and I were blessed to go on a week-long pastor/spouse retreat in Wisconsin.  Much of the time was spent in the Scriptures and in prayer.  But because we both love to read, several books went along with us.

One of LeAnn's paper-companions for the retreat was Crazy Love by Francis Chan.  She really enjoyed it and was challenged by it.  She recommended I read it, so I took it to my office and added it to my "to read" stack - where it patiently sat for several months.  After reading Made to Stick (which I enjoyed - but not quite as much as I had hoped.  The first chapter was GREAT - then it just plateaued from there...), I was ready for a book to grab hold of my heart, not just my head.  I thought I'd give Crazy Love a try.  Wow!  I was challenged by Francis's passion and found my prayers being affected.

I rarely read another book by an author immediately after reading a prior book of theirs.  I often like coming back to their style, thought processes, etc. after a break filled with other authors' thoughts, styles, and such.  However, I was intrigued by Francis's topic in his second book Forgotten God and I was secretly hoping that the passionate call to follow Christ in Crazy Love would continue to resound and continue God's work in me.

I am pleased to not only announce that my expectations were met, but Forgotten God impacted me even more profoundly than Crazy Love.  My prayers have been even more deeply impacted, I am enjoying the Scriptures even more (and I was already loving my daily times with the Bible), and I am becoming even more passionate about God, His Son, and His Holy Spirit and their work in my life and those around me.  I'm tempted to say I'm growing like a weed right now, but weeds grow unwanted and without intention.  This growth is very wanted and I believe it has been very intentional by my heavenly Father.

But let me warn you - this book is not for the comfortable Christian looking to remain in his or her comfort.  Francis is a very passionate individual, and he is not afraid to challenge his readers to become equally passionate about Christ and the Spirit's work on earth.  Francis has made some personal decisions out of passion and conviction that leave others questioning his wisdom.  For instance, all of the royalties of his first book, Crazy Love, go to a non-profit organization helping children trapped in sex slavery rather than becoming an emergency fund for he and his family.  Some accuse Francis of abandoning his own family - but he doesn't see how he can make himself and his family comfortable when little ones are being horrendously abused and misused.

I grew up in a charismatic church, and while I have come to slightly different conclusions theologically than my charismatic friends from my own reading and study of Scripture, I have always appreciated their heart for the Lord.  They are very aware of the Holy Spirit (some might say TOO aware at times - or more accurately, not truly aware...).  The churches I have been involved in since entering my adults years have been very different.  They have acknowledged the person of the Holy Spirit, but they haven't regularly acknowledged the presence and work of the Holy Spirit.  This is why Francis has a tag line saying "Reversing our tragice neglect of the Holy Spirit."  I really appreciated the balanced approach Francis took throughout his book.  Charismatics, Presbyterians, Baptists, and Non-Denoms like me can read this book without feeling like an agenda or certain theological stance is being pushed.

Francis provides a very brief, but good, summary of the doctrine of the Holy Spirit.  If you are looking for a theological treatise on pneumatology, this isn't the place.  But if you are open to being challenged about your surrender to the work of the Holy Spirit, this is the best book I've read so far.

Also worth noting: Each chapter is followed by a biography of a person who lived their life under the power of the Holy Spirit.  Francis does a great job of choosing "ordinary" people who lived "extraordinary" lives to highlight in these biographical sections.

One thing I truly appreciate about Francis is his passion.  While he is probably a remarkably intelligent guy, the portrait of Francis that emerges out of Crazy Love and Forgotten God is just a simple disciple of Jesus living full-on for God as empowered by the Holy Spirit.  He readily admits his imperfections, but it isn't his failings he dwells on, but rather the direction he falls.  I, too, want to be falling toward my Savior when I screw up and grieve the Holy Spirit.  I want to be a man consumed with a passion for Jesus, being filled with the Spirit like He was, and living out His Image through me everyday.

While I recommend Crazy Love, you do not have to read it first.  Forgotten God stands on it's own, and in my opinion is even more powerful, better written, and more perfectly accomplishes the same goal as Crazy Love. This book is going on my "favorites" list, and one I will probably come back to in the future (which is a very rare thing for me!).

For more information about Forgotten God, visit http://forgottengod.com.

Posted via email from erin bird's web nest

1 comment:

David C. Cook said...

Hi, I’ve noticed that you’ve blogged about Forgotten God, by Francis Chan. As you may know, we have just released a Forgotten God DVD Study Resource. Because of your wonderful blog post about the book, I’d like to offer you a free copy of the DVD to review. Please email me your address, and I’d be happy to send it. Thanks!

Angela.Ralston@davidccook.com