Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Lust of Money

While I may be lusting after cameras and computers, one American Idol judge is lusting after something more direct. Money.

I'm not an avid Rolling Stone mag reader, so forgive me if you've already heard this. But in the April 6 edition of Rolling Stone, Simon Cowell, of American Idol fame, said during an interview:

Rolling Stone: What do you want more than anything else in the world?
Simon Cowell: Money. As much money as I can get my hands on. It's as simple as that.
RS: I read that you're worth something like $90 million. Not enough?
SC: No.


I just read the above in Servant magazine. And immediately after this excerpt, they had this Benjamin Franklin quote (whose face graces the $100 US bill):

"Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. There is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of its filling a vacuum, it makes one. If it satisfies one want, it doubles and triples that want another way."

Mr. Franklin in the 1700s was merely echoing what had already been in the Holy Scriptures thousands of years before.

Whoever loves money never has money enough;
whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income.
This too is meaningless.
Ecclesiastes 5:10


At last Thursday's Watershed Worship Gathering, I spoke about being desperate. Are you desperate for money like Simon - which doesn't satisfy? Or are you desperate for the One who does satisfy and will meet all your needs (which, by the way, are different from your wants - like cameras)?

No comments: