Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Keeping My Zipper Up

My son is moving into a new phase of life. He is embracing his "twoness" full force. Don't get me wrong - he's a GREAT kid, and I am so humbled to be his dad. He brings lots of smiles and laughs to our family.

But he is still all boy. And he is still very "2". And in his exploration of life, he pushes the envelope, even crossing the line of disobedience.

One of the simple acts of rebellion he has been engaging in is the removal of his pajamas while in bed. (I know that's a horribly grievous sin, but we're working on it with him.) To help him "obey" (and stay warm), we have started using a safety pin to keep the zipper in the upright closed position where little fingers can't move the zipper to the toes.

This morning I went in to S's room to get a very happy 2-year-old out of bed (and to keep him quiet so that his pregnant mommy could keep sleeping). As I entered the room, S triumphantly called out "Pajamas On!" (well, actually it was more like "djam djam ah!") He was announcing his obedience at keeping his zipper up and not being found naked. But of course he was still in his "djam djams"! I had safety pinned the zipper up last night to ensure his compliance!

Like Father Like Son
I think sometimes I can be a "two-year-old" when it comes to my relationship with my Heavenly Daddy. I do something like write a song, or preach a sermon, or give wise counsel to someone, and I start proudly thinking "Look how great I am, Father!"

But I've got it all wrong. Sure, I've done those things, and they are good things to do, but rather than get a big head about it, I should be humbled. It is God out of his grace who gave me the gifts and desires to write songs, or teach people, or serve my wife, or whatever it is I do in life that brings God glory. Rather than triumphantly shout when God enters my room "Look Daddy at what great things I've done!" I should be humbly saying, "thank you, Father, for giving me these talents and gifts to use for your glory."

So in your relationship to your Heavenly Daddy through Jesus Christ, are you trying to proudly let God (and others) know the great things you've done? Or are you humbly thanking Him for allowing you, out of his grace, to do these great things for His Kingdom and His reknown?

No comments: