Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Deep & Wide by Andy Stanley (Book Review)

Deep-and-wide-cover

I had the privilege of attending the excellent Preaching Rocket conference in Chicago two weeks ago.  Much to my surprise, I (along with every other attender) was gifted a copy of Andy Stanley's latest book "Deep & Wide."

My monthly spiritual retreat was scheduled the day after I got back from the conference.  And I couldn't help myself... after a great morning in the Word and prayer, I cracked open Andy's book, ignoring the other book in my bag I intended to finish.

I have read several of Andy's books: Next Generation Leader7 Practices of Effective Ministry, among others.  Andy's book Communicating for a Change gave me permission to be me when I preach.  My natural style already leans to the way Andy believes biblical teaching should be done to help both believers and non-believers draw closer to Christ, so I felt very affirmed by Communicating.  And Visioneering is one of the few books I have actually read more than two times - it still rates as one of my favorite books.

But while I enjoy Andy's books and sermons, I would not consider myself an Andy-Stanley groupie.  In fact, I need to admit that I opened Deep & Wide with curiosity, but also a heavy-dose of caution.  I recently had an older individual I deeply respect express some "concerns" about North Point's ministry, and so knowing the thesis of Deep & Wide, I was eager to see if I would learn much that would help me as I plant a church, or if the concerns I have heard would be well-founded.

In summary, I think every pastor and church staff should read Deep & Wide.  Even if they completely disagree with Andy's approach or are turned off by his occasionally-mocking tone, at least they will have wrestled through why they do ministry like they do and why their Sunday morning services are structured the way they are.  Andy is incredibly passionate about reaching those living life apart from Christ.  And while my "missional" friends would argue against Andy's heavily "attractional model," at least they would be forced to think through why they believe their approach is better for their context.

What Purpose-Driven Church was to the 90s, Deep & Wide might possibly for this generation.  It isn't a book about growing a big church.  And it isn't a book about discipling people.  It is a book about how North Point has intentionally tried to bring the unconvinced of Atlanta (and now beyond) into a life-changing relationship with Jesus, and then giving them the tools to mature in this new relationship with their Heavenly Father.

I found Andy's latest work to be challenging, funny, and inspiring.  I wouldn't be surprised if Deep & Wide doesn't end up being like Visioneering - one of the few books I return to.

Rating: 4.5 credit cards out of 5  (You'll have to read the book to understand the credit card reference!)

Posted via email from erin bird's web nest

No comments: