Thursday, February 24, 2011

How to properly use the platform God has given you...

I am far from a NASCAR fan, but I have to admit I was impressed when I heard the news that a 20-year-old driver (in only his second Sprint Cup race) took the crown of the famous Daytona 500.  Think about it: he can't legally drink, most of his peers are in college racking up debt, and he just pulled in a winning purse of more than a million dollars.

But what is more impressive to me than Trevor Bayne's win is what he said about his sudden income after the win.

“I don’t know if I will splurge. I am definitely not putting it up for retirement yet, I am going to stay around for awhile," Bayne said.

"Hopefully this money will help us get some more races, and there are a lot of foundations and ministries that need support. Back2Back ministries in Mexico is one, and there are a lot of good organizations that need some help, and we will help them out as much as we can."

Back2Back is a ministry several friends from New Covenant went to help serve during this past Thanksgiving holiday.  They came back sharing about the powerful ministry Back2Back has to orphans and the community.  Back2Back really is a "least of these" Christ-centered ministry.

But rather than talk about going to Disney World, or buying the types of things most 20-year-olds would splurge on, Trevor thinks of the ministries he can now support financially.

And THAT'S how to use the platform God has given you.  You give it away.

(Wonder if Trevor would want to help church planting efforts in Iowa... ;o)

Posted via email from erin bird's web nest

No comments: