Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Rock Climbing Lessons for Ministry

As I drove to lunch, I listened to Matthew Childs' talk from the 2009 TED conference (I'm subscribed to the TED conference podcast). Mr. Childs had 9 life lessons he's learned from years of rock climbing. I felt like a lot of them could be applied to my life in my job in ministry. I also thought some of this was great advice for the young adults I counsel from time to time.

For those of you who learn best visually, here is a video of the talk. For those who learn best reading, here is the transcript. And for those of you who just want a summary, here you go:

#1 - Don't Let Go
#2 - Hesitation is Bad
#3 - Have a Plan
#4 - The Move is the End
#5 - Know how to Rest
#6 - Fear Sucks
#7 - Opposites are Good
#8 - Strength does not Equal Success
#9 - Know how to Let Go

For me, numbers 1, 3, 5, 8, and 9 really stuck out and seemed very applicable to ministry.

For instance, with #5: I have a friend who "flamed out" of ministry by having an affair - mostly because I don't think he knew how to rest.

With #9: I know some ministries that hang on way too long, and the "fall" is very, very painful. I'm proud of New Covenant for "letting go" of the Wash Campus when they did - it was the right thing to do, the "fall" was very graceful, and much celebration took place after we closed the Wash Campus down.

#8 also really hit home. I've talked with church leaders who were all about talent, personality, and proven track record. While those things are important, calling and character seem even more important. So strength does not always equal success in ministry.

I could go on, but I meant for this to be short. Feel free to comment if one or more of these hit you (or perhaps you disagreed with Mr. Child's).

No comments: