Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Best Birthday Gifts...

Yesterday was my birthday. I like my birthdays when they go by like an ordinary day. I've never enjoyed having a big deal made about me. And so yesterday was a great day because I was just so busy going about things like an ordinary day.

Until I got home.

I've decided that my birthday isn't for me anymore. It's for my kids. While I don't want a big deal made about me - my kids like having a big deal made about them, and since that is "birthday culture" in their minds, they want to extend the "favor" to me. But I learned yesterday what the best presents are.

The best birthday gifts I got yesterday were:

- a spontaneous hug from my two year old
- a homemade card from my 8 year old
- a gorgeous smile from my 5 year old when I walked in the door
- and watching Cinderella Man with my wife

So what "presents" are you getting that you may not realize are there? Are you letting the precious things of life slip by unnoticed because you are wanting a "big deal" made about you?

No comments: