Tuesday, November 01, 2005

This Could Have Been Me...

Kyle Lake, 33-year-old pastor of University Baptist Church in Waco, TX, passed away Sunday, October 30th. He was standing in water preparing to baptize someone when he was accidentally electrocuted (possibly through the microphone he was using). Kyle left behind a wife, a 5-year-old, two twin 3-year-old boys, and a great church.

Kyle was born just a year before yours truly. I, too, have little kids. And just this passed Sunday our church was doing baptisms (although I was not involved). This realization hit me: This could have been me.

Kyle's "untimely" death reminds me to ask myself "Am I making the most of today?" While I do not want to live life morbidly and afraid of death, I have to admit that I think of myself as being invincible. I know I won't go home before God's timing, but I doubt Kyle thought Sunday was God's timing for his life. He had a great wife. Great little kids. Worked with a great church. This could have been me.

Are you aware of your mortality? Are you making the most of your days? Are your relationships at a place where you could go at any time without regrets? Because you don't know when your calling card is going to be pulled. This could have been you.

No comments: